Do you ever find yourself asking, “Why can’t I just get this thing done?”
Even high achievers sometimes have a difficult time with motivation and very often start looking for an outside source for that “kick in the butt”.
But the reality is, motivation is an “inside” job, and it’s a skill that can be learned.
Could you use a little help getting motivated from time to time?
Try these techniques for motivating yourself and get things done today:
1. Choose happiness. It’s much easier to motivate yourself when you’re in a positive mood. Focus on the wonderful things in your life that fill you with gratitude. Cleaning out the garage won’t seem quite as daunting when you can be thankful that you actually have a garage to clean out. Keep your mind on the positive things in your life and always prospect for clients when you are happy.
2. Learn how to be a finisher. A trail of unfinished projects can dampen your enthusiasm to start another one. Avoid quitting before a task is 100% completed. Figure out the steps to completion and follow those steps until you are done. You’ll be more interested in taking on new tasks when you expect to be successful. Success always breeds more success.
3. Expect mistakes. The only people that don’t make mistakes are those who never do anything or take any chances. The more mistakes you make, the more you’ll learn. Mistakes can be very positive. Learn from them, then use them to your advantage.
4. Keep yourself grounded in the present. If you’re worrying about the future or beating yourself up over the past, it’s challenging to get anything accomplished right now. Focus on your breathing for a few minutes if your mind is running wild to bring you back to the present.
5. Focus on the result. You’ll always find it difficult to get started if you sit around and think about all the work that needs to be done. Focus on the result and you’ll feel much more motivated to complete all those steps.
6. Give yourself a reward. You go to work every day in your business because you know that a paycheck is coming your way. (I hope it is anyway.) You wouldn’t be working otherwise. Give yourself a small, but meaningful, reward when your work is complete. Hint: Determine your reward before you get started.
7. Use a timer. Decide how long a task should take and see if you’re right. Set a timer and see if you can beat the clock. A little time pressure will help to keep you focused on your work. There are many timer apps and programs available at no cost for your computer or mobile device, but a good old fashioned kitchen timer works just as well.
If you are having difficulty starting a project, decide that you will work on it for just 15-minutes. Set your timer and at the end of that time you get to decide if you want to keep going or if you want to start on something else. Either way, congratulate yourself on getting started.
8. Read inspirational quotes. Reading inspirational quotes by those who have achieved great success can be very motivating. Spend a few minutes reading these great quotes and you’ll be sure to experience an enhanced level of enthusiasm. Consider creating a list of quotes that you can keep nearby in case of emergency or buy a book of famous quotations.
9. Consider the price of failure. What is the price of failing to follow through? Make a list of the negatives if you don’t get something done. Are you driven more by pain then by a reward? Using both pain and pleasure to your advantage can be powerful.
10. Get some exercise. If you’re feeling stuck, get out of your office! Go for a brisk walk or a short run. Taking a short break every 60 minutes has been shown to increase productivity by quite a lot. Keep your breaks short – say 10 minutes or so — so you don’t get off track.
11. Measure your progress. Big goals or projects can sometimes take years to complete. Measuring your progress along the way is a great way to keep your spirits high. Set short-term goals to keep you focused and motivated. Achieving or finishing something, no matter how small, can be a big motivator just by itself.
Most of us don’t live with our mothers any longer. So it’s important that we be able to motivate ourselves. The most successful people are able to harness the power of self-motivation.
A higher level of motivation for yourself will ensure that your work is done well and as quickly as possible.
But now, it’s time to get back to work!
So let me ask you…
How do you motivate yourself? Please share in the comments section below.