You might have a list with many subscribers. Or maybe you’re just getting started growing your list. Either way, subscribers come and go. They may opt-out for whatever reason or maybe their email address changes and they don’t notify you of the change. It’s your job as a marketer to make sure you are always adding fresh contacts to your list while taking care of those already on your list.
Check out these ideas for ways to grow your list.
- 1. Host a webinar to collect names and addresses at registration.
- Create a compelling free offer that gets visitors to opt in to your list in order to receive it.
- Hold an online contest for a free giveaway where entrants have to sign up to be entered.
- Add an email call-to-action as a custom tab on your Facebook page.
- Collect email address from offline events like trade shows you participate in. Import them into your database. Make sure you send them a welcome email that confirms they signed up for your list.
- Encourage your current subscribers to share or forward your emails. Include social sharing buttons as well as an “email this to a friend” button. Include a subscribe link at the bottom of all your emails to make it easier for those receiving forwarded emails to opt-in.
- This is a BIG ONE. Create compelling email content to keep people subscribed and to make them want to share your content. If your content is dull and the same old rehashed content everyone else is sending out, your subscribers have no reason to want to share it.
- Offer email-only exclusive deals and information to add value for your subscribers.
- Make it easy to find your email opt-in on your home page. It should be noticeable and quickly spotted when a visitor comes to your site.
- Create a mobile-friendly landing page that includes the benefits of your email program with an opt-in and easy navigation to return them to the main website.
- Add a QR code to all your print material. This lets people scan it to opt in.
- Join in free giveaway promotions to collect email addresses.
- Create multiple targeted email subscription forms to segment your marketing identities. Some people may not want to join a general campaign, preferring to opt in to a list that targets their specific interests.
- Promote a lead-gen offer like an eBook or free resource on Twitter. Link to a landing page that requires them to opt-in to get that free resource or eBook.
- Place your opt-in form on every page. It should be at the top of the fold on every content page.
- Create a full page Squeeze Page or opt-in page dedicated specifically to your opt-in offer.
- Network with and become friends with your competitors. Most of them love to share and are willing to share.
- Add a call-to-action at the end of some of your blog posts or articles asking people to subscribe to your list.
- If you speak at an event, find creative ways to get people to give you their email addresses. Share a simple handout that has a special form at the bottom for them to put their name and address on and give to you after the event is over. Have attendees give you their email addresses in order to be placed in a drawing for one of your products or some other giveaway item.
These are just 20 examples of easy ways to grow and build your opt-in list that you can start doing today. You want to make it easy for people to find your opt-in form and to have a compelling reason to join you. After all, with millions of businesses already sending out emails, you have to find a way to stand out.